Sunday, October 5, 2008

Donations

One last post from Texas. Probably the last one anyway. I had a couple more pictures of donation quilts that I wanted to shared. That is to say, quilts that have been donated to the shelter, not ones that I have made to donate.

I think this crib quilt is darling. The little bears have faces that were inked on by a marker that hasn't been very permanent so they've faded quite a bit.
100_2366

This is a two sided quilt made of clothing scraps - wool, double knits, seersucker, etc. I love this kind of quilt - free style, recycled, unconstrained.

The front (or back):
100_2370

That print that says "No! No! No!" also says "Yes! Yes! Yes!" in glow-in-the-dark letters. Cute, huh?

The back (or front):
100_2372

I'm having the hardest time trying to sort through my enormous salvage fabric stash to decide what to take home with me. Since I am flying there are major space/weight limitations. I will probably send myself a package, too, but even still I'm not going to be able to keep it all. Maybe there's no reason to keep any of it. I didn't pay for it, and I could easily to return it to the donations pile from whence it came. The problem is that I have project ideas for most of it, therefore it's already taken on a new life for me and I'm already sort of emotionally committed to it. Not to mention the fact that I'm not sure if it will find another good home if not with me, and I'd hate to see any of it go to waste.

Well, somehow or other I have to part with some of it. I hate to jettison the flannel sheets since I see them as being so extremely useful. I don't want to let go of the linen since I've got a great selection of it. I want to keep the felted sweaters because I've been wanting to do a felted sweater quilt for a longgg time. I've made tons of plans for the pillowcases. Well, you get the idea. The wool blankets have already been re-donated. Those, at least, I was ready to let go of. I've let go of a few flannel sheets that were pretty worn out. However, I still have a ways to go, and the sorting will continue. What would you keep??

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Ouch. Once you have imagined something in your mind, it's hard to let go of it. I'd definitely keep the felted sweaters and flannel sheets -- the rest I guess you could replace if you have to (but if you can get it home, by all means do!).

Andrea said...

You squeeze as much in as you can - lol !

Michael5000 said...

Wow, that is the ugggggliest scrap quilt I've ever seen! In a good way, of course.

Best wishes to you as you wrap things up down there...

Debra Dixon said...

Those donated quilts remind me very much of the Gees Bend quilts. I have to admire the freedom since so many of us get bogged down with rules somewhere along the way.

I would keep all the fabric in your favorite color, felted sweaters and maybe the flannel sheets. You will probably find another good, cheap source once you get settled again. Just decide if the "free" fabric is worth the price to ship it. Fabric is heavy. If you can afford it, then cram the boxes full!

My Favorite Quilt Pics From Flickr Users