Friday, April 18, 2008

Alternatives

I have been reminded that sometimes there is nothing like your own whiny blog post to inspire you to have a better attitude. In more than three years of blogging (the majority of it over at Rejoice Always) this has happened to me at least a few times. Since writing my previous post I have decided to focus on the positive and make the best out of this situation that I can. My sewing machine most likely WILL be coming back with me from my vacation (which starts next week!!!!!). I may change my mind...ya never know...but I figure it's not doing anyone any good at home. This whole thing would be easier for me to conceptualize if I had any idea what I was going to do in October when my one year commitment here is up. I worry about the difficulty of having more stuff to move out than I can fit in two suitcases, etc. But in reality, I have no idea what's to come after this...so I might as well live in the moment. I'm 25 (almost 26) and I have no idea where my life is going...there, I said it! And really, it's fine...it just makes planning a little harder.

In addition to the Grandmother's Flower Garden, I've thought of a few other quilt-related activities to keep me occupied.

Stash building, for example! No, I haven't spent a cent on fabric in at least six months. But I finally got around to spending some time sorting through clothing donations with an eye toward usable fabric. Sorting clothing donations is not my official "job" here, but anyone can do it when they have a free minute or two. So far I've limited myself to 100% natural fibers - cotton, linen, or wool. I've tried to only grab things that are old enough, ugly enough, ripped enough, worn enough, dated enough, etc. that no one would really want them any more. Sometimes things are borderline, but I just really want them. We get more than enough clothes donated anyway, so I'm definitely not taking the shirt off anyone's back. At this point I'm not going to over think it.

Here are the cottons I've accumulated so far. There's a nice little red/pink/orange color scheme going...

100_1791

There was an article in the Jan/Feb (I think) Quilter's Newsletter about quilting with linen. I was really inspired by it and am interested in trying it, so I'm also collecting those. (Did I mention that I got a QN subscription for Christmas.) I'm also grabbing every felted wool sweater that comes through. Yes, the vast majority are "pre-felted" so the work is done for me. I suppose smaller people could technically still use those, but I'm taking them anyway. I'm not sure it's ever cold enough here to warrant wool sweaters, but that's coming from a Midwesterner.

Another activity? Quilt books! I'm in a new place with a new library, which means a whole new selection of quilt books to peruse. Somehow that thought just occurred to me out of nowhere (not sure why it hadn't before) and I headed to the library and got my first selections. Fun.

I also discovered that we have some quilts in our linen closet. They are all hardcore utility quilts that were donated by someone at some point in the last thirty years. Our linens get REALLY hard use, and wear out quickly, so quilts aren't the most logical choice. However, seeing them here does brighten MY spirits. I've decided to do some photo documentation. Here's the first specimen: fleece scraps tied to some sort of woven backing. I can't identify the backing, but it's really gauzy. I think you can see a little in this picture how much wear this quilt has gotten.

100_1786

Anyway...yeah, I'm having fun. And I think on the whole that things are going better around here, which obviously helps me to feel better about everything. The situation here is pretty complex for me right now - I'm turning it over in my brain a LOT. But at the end of the day it is what it is and I have no other recourse than to enjoy the ride...!

PS, about the Grandmother's Flower Garden - the more I work on it the more I realize how long it's going to take! Has anyone out there in the blogosphere actually finished one of these??? Oh well...I look forward to the day I finish the top and can say that I actually hand pieced an entire quilt. I expect that day to coincide roughly with the birth of my first grandchild, hence the name of the pattern.

2 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That quilt may be old, worn, and poorly made, but wow! It has lots of personality and I really like it! I like your way of stash enhancement, too. Are you going to cut the pieces up as you get them (get rid of collars and flat seams, etc.) are just wait until you are ready to use them.

I think you have a remarkably good attitude and are actually doing something with your life. Hang in there.

As for the hexagons, I saw a humongous quilt hand-pieced entirely of little hexagons, many shaped to look like the flowers in grandmother's flower garden. I posted a couple of pictures of it on a May 26, 2006 entry on my blog. I'll put a link here but don't know if it will come through: http://jovaliquilts.blogspot.com/2006/05/chicago-quilt-show-2006.html

Michael5000 said...

We seem to be siblings in salvage these days. I'm with jovali, I think that quilt is TIGHT. But, having a little tie for every couple square feet isn't going to keep it in very good shape. Maybe your quilting project could be requilting underquilted donation quilts.

Wow, I just used the "quilt" four times in eight words.

Yeah, that hand-pieceing thing... good luck with that. I admire it, but won't be joining you. : )

My Favorite Quilt Pics From Flickr Users